Thanks to The Rustic Foodie for sharing this delicious recipe for Classic Hearty Beef Stew.
This Classic Hearty Beef Stew recipe is perfectly seasoned and full of potatoes and carrots. This healthy winter classic is sure to fill you up!
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb chuck roast
- 1/2 cup flour
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 small white onion
- 4-5 carrots
- 4-5 red potatoes
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- Mince garlic and onions. Slice carrots and cube potatoes.
- Cut the meat into cubes and dredge in flour.
- Heat Dutch oven or heavy-bottom soup pan to medium and add 1 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil. Once heated, add half of the cubed meat and cook for a minute or so on each side. Add salt and pepper. Remove and repeat this process with second batch of meat. Set seared meat aside.
- Add another tsp. or so of oil to pan and then add garlic and onions. Saute for 4-5 minutes, scraping up brown bits as it cooks.
- Add red wine to pan and saute for 2-3 minutes or until wine reduces.
- Add carrots to pan along with pinch of salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add 3 cups of beef broth and seared meat to the pan. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 more cup beef broth and potatoes to the pan. Cover again and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove cover and add tomato paste, ground oregano and thyme, and more salt and pepper (adjust to taste). Stir together and cook for another 2 minutes or until the stew has thickened.